'Shine Bright Your Light'
Matthew 5: 14-15
St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary School is clear about its mission. We are here to light up learning for every member of our school community. We are a school that is proud of our diversity, inclusivity, determination and desire to serve. We aim to develop life long learners who thrive in our care and whose lights shine brightly as the heart and future of our world.
Our Christian Values
Our core values are love, unity and perseverance. They underpin our vision for children to shine bright their lights. We learn about our values during worship, class time, playtime and with our friends, teachers and families. You can find out more by watching our STC Church School channel in our Video Resource Centre.
Love – ‘The Flame’
“God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.”
(1 John 4:16)
- Jesus has the brightest love of all: God is love. Jesus is God with us. He is God in human form. He is the very definition of love. He has the brightest love ever!
- Love brings light: Love is the flame of the candle, making the world brighter. The more we love God and love one another, the brighter we shine.
- Love is our purpose: To shine bright with light is the purpose of a candle. To shine bright with love is our purpose as people - as Jesus shows us.
Unity – ‘The Wick’
“I pray ... that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” (Jesus’ Prayer in John 17:20-21)
- Jesus prayed for our unity: Jesus prayed that all His people would be one, just as God is one. He wants us to shine as an example of unity to the world.
- One wick = One flame: Unity is like the wick. One wick focusses everything on one flame, making it even brighter. Jesus calls us to be one bright flame.
- Unity comes from love, not sameness: The flame around the wick has many shades of colour. We are one not because we are the same, but because, though we are all different, we love one another and love our wonderful diversity.
Perseverance – ‘The Wax’
“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
(Jesus in Matthew 28:20)
- Fuelled by perseverance: To burn for a long time, a candle needs lots of wax. Perseverance is like wax: it is our fuel to burn with love long-term.
- Strength through good and bad: Jesus calls us to be like candles shining bright not only through the good days, but also through the hard times of life.
- We are not alone: Jesus promised His people that He would stay with them forever. Perseverance comes from knowing we are not alone, because Jesus says, “I am with you always”.
Our school then and now
Our school is at the very heart of Hereford city and is over 100 years old. The school was originally built as Hereford’s Grammar school for Girls before being included in the Diocese, as a church school, some decades later. In 1984 the school became St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary School.
Our school today
We are a one form entry school that welcomes children to become part of our special family. As a small city school we get to know each of our children very well, with many returning as parents and even grandparents themselves! We are proud of our high quality nursery which offers places for children from 2 to 4 years old.
We are within walking distance of the city centre, the historic heart of Hereford, enabling visits to the Cathedral, the Black and White House, the Library, the Courtyard Theatre and the River Wye.
The school values its Church status and has strong links with St Peters and All Saints Church as well as with Hereford Cathedral.
We have expertise in computing and are looking to the future in building links with Hereford's new university, which is situated opposite the school. As a city school we are able to make the most of the city library and museum, sporting facilities, the Courtyard Theatre and the historic buildings of Hereford. Our curriculum is built around enriching our children's lives and we aim to do this every day.